Software Engineer - Firmware (Graduate)Date posted 08/22/2018 Location Santa Clara, California
Firmware Engineer (Graduate)
At Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE), we live by three core values that drive our business: Partner. Innovate. Act. These values combine to help us create important work all over the world to advance how people live and work.
Aruba is redefining the “IT EDGE”. Creating new customer experiences by building intelligent spaces and digital workspaces. We are focused on campus, branch, mobility and the Internet of Things (IoT) to transform business models with the combined power of compute, context, control and secure connectivity.
This part of our Aruba group has developed a next generation networking operating system based for current / future Aruba product lines. Aruba recently launched campus core/aggregation switches built on top of this OS. This team in particular is responsible for the in memory database (OVSDB) that is at the heart of the system. In addition, this team is also responsible for developing networking features for campus switches (both control and data plane/ASIC).
Analyzes, designs, programs, debugs and modifies firmware (e.g., DSP, embedded code, BIOS). Work often involves analog and digital hardware and real-time operating systems. Position requires knowledge and exposure to hardware design. Typically programs in machine language, assembly language and high-level languages (e.g., C, C++).
- Designs limited enhancements, updates, and programming changes for portions and subsystems of firmware, including DSP, embedded code, EFI drivers, EFI applications and BIOS/UEFI
- Analyzes design and determines coding, programming, and integration activities required based on specific objectives and established project guidelines.
- Executes and writes portions of testing plans, protocols, and documentation for assigned portion of application; identifies and debugs issues with code and suggests changes or improvements.
- Participates as a member of project team of other firmware engineers and internal and outsourced development partners to develop reliable, cost effective and high quality solutions for assigned systems portion or subsystem.
- Collaborates and communicates with internal and outsourced development partners regarding firmware design status, project progress, and issue resolution.
Education and Experience Required:
- Must have graduated within the last year, or next 6 months with a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Using firmware design tools and languages.
- Ability to apply analytical and problem solving skills.
- General understanding of firmware and hardware design, including interactions and integrations of firmware with hardware
- Firmware testing methodology, including execution of test plans, debugging, and testing scripts and tools
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; mastery in English and local language.
- Ability to effectively communicate design proposals and negotiate options.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Values:
Partnership first: We believe in the power of collaboration - building long term relationships with our customers, our partners and each other
Bias for action: We never sit still - we take advantage of every opportunity
Innovators at heart: We are driven to innovate - creating both practical and breakthrough advancements
HPE is an EOE / Female / Minority / Individual with Disabilities / Protected Veteran Status
What do we offer?
Extensive social benefits, flexible working hours, a competitive salary and shared values, make Hewlett Packard Enterprise one of the world´s most attractive employers. At HPE our goal is to provide equal opportunities, work-life balance, and constantly evolving career opportunities.
If you are looking for challenges in a pleasant and international work environment, then we definitely want to hear from you. Apply now below, or directly via our Careers Portal at www.hpe.com/careers
You can also find us on:
Hewlett Packard Enterprise is EEO F/M/Protected Veteran/ Individual with Disabilities. HPE will comply with all applicable laws related to the use of arrest and conviction records, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and similar laws and will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories.
The brightest minds. The most intelligent technologies.
Learn more about how we’re lifting mobile barriers, freeing businesses to do what’s never been possible before. Join us and become a mobile hero.